MD and Master of Public Health Combined Degree (MD/MPH)
Our accredited program creates an integrated approach to help students improve both individual and population health. With the combined resources of Northwestern s Feinberg School of Medicine and The Graduate School, our students will be prepared to address new and evolving challenges at the intersection of Public Health and Medicine.
Our MD/MPH Program is structured to meet the needs of our students:
- Evening MPH Classes: Students complete their MD curriculum during the day and MPH classes in the evenings, one or more days per week.
- 4 Year Completion: Our program is designed for students who wish to complete the MD and MPH degrees within four years making them highly competitive for residencies, fellowships, and research opportunities.
- MD/MPH Cohort: You will be supported and challenged by your cohort of same-year MD/MPH students that come from all over the world
The interdisciplinary MPH program bridges theory and practice by having coursework in three main areas plus a professional experience component.
The Northwestern Program in Public Health is a professional program with students coming from a wide range of professional and academic backgrounds. Applicants for the MD/MPH students must first be admitted to Feinberg School of Medicine s MD Program.
Students applying to join the MD/MPH program should follow the following process to gain admission:
- Apply and receive an offer of admission to Feinberg School of Medicine s MD Program
- After accepting the offer, students apply to the MD/MPH Program through the ApplyYourself Application Program. This application requires:
- Transcript(s) from all colleges and universities attended
- Two letters of recommendation from former instructors and/or employers
- A 1 2 page statement of purpose describing reasons for seeking a degree in public health.
For students seeking to first apply to Feinberg School of Medicine s MD program, please go to Feinberg’s Admissions site .
For students who have been offered admission to the Feinberg School of Medicines MD program, please apply for the MD/MPH program .
The MD/MPH program offers an extremely cost-effective method for earning your degree. Rather than full tuition for the MPH degree, students pay a surcharge of their MD program tuition.
Financial Aid Considerations
Financial Aid Office:
- For MD/MPH Students, financial aid assistance is available from the Office of Financial Aid .
Earned Credit Transfer
- Some students have credits from prior professional/graduate school coursework that may be applied towards the MPH degree. Credit is not available for graduate school courses taken to fulfill undergraduate degree requirements. Please contact Maureen Moran to inquire about credit transfer.